Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Writing Prep

     When I sit down to write there are usually a number of questions running through my mind before any ink is laid down. Number one is always what pen. Second, what color ink. Those are a given, you need those (at least I do) to write. But there is another question, less pertinent to writing, perhaps. Music. Before I ever decided to write a word outside of a high school paper I was obsessed with music. From the age of twelve or so I was playing guitar quite badly, and joining "bands" every other month, usually with the same people which is odd to think about now. Music is what brought my friends and I together, it has helped my travel to great places, usually with my sister(12 hour round trip for Wilco at Tanglewood, sure.) So, in my mind at least, it only makes sense to combine these two aspects of my life. I thought over the last year and noticed my music choices when writing. Here are my top 5 favorite albums/bands to have in the background when I have a pen in my hand.

1. Ink Spots- The Best of the Ink Spots
     Something about that old school romantic feel. It doesn't hurt that they are featured in the Fallout video game series either.

2.  Amanda Palmer- Who Killed Amanda Palmer
     A nice mix of crazy fast and frantic, and calm and chill. Nice for writer's block.

3. Wilco- A Ghost is Born
      Probably one of the last truly great pure rock bands there will ever be, if current trends continue. New age music with a rock, folk feeling.

4.  Bruno Coulais- The Coraline Film Soundtrack
Great for not getting too distracted by lyrics. Has an awesome creepy, warming quality to it. Gets the creative blood flowing.

5.Radiohead... just Radiohead.

  There ya have it!


No comments:

Post a Comment